Music Television

Music videos were created long before MTV started playing them in the 1980’s. Originally they were made to show meaning to a song. To give a clear meaning on what the artist was trying to compose and not leave it up to the listener for their interpretation. The artist would have a clear cut message as to what the songs and lyrics where about and they wanted to make sure their listener understood that. The idea of Music Television was not a hit right away. MTV is considered the first series of music television stations. It released on August 1st 1981 at 1201 AM with the words Ladies and Gentlemen lets rock and roll which was followed by the MTV theme song being played over the apollo 11 montage which is where MTV got its signature moon man. This was suppose to signify a revolution in American history a very important time for music. The first song ever played was the ” Video Killed the Radio Star ” by the Buggles. The station consisted of hours upon hours of music videos hosted by VJ (Video Jockeys). This theme soared as MTV became extremely popular through the younger generation and revolutionized pop culture. Many producers noticed this right away cashed in on it. Every mega star with any hit song made a video. Videos became evolved into short movies as in the Michael Jackson thriller videos, they were parody tributes and montages. They all told a story and helped explain the artist. The point was promotion for the producer and the label to promote the artist and the song to get it out there for more people to hear to make more money. Lets face it no matter what it comes down to it is a business. Due to the many different styles of music VH1 BET and down south television had country music channels playing their videos all the time. Many shows that showed music videos such as TRL, 106 and Park and Start UP became extremely popular and made VJs celebrities. Although times have changed and these stations have switched over to the new fad reality TV music videos are still being made and used for promotion. There still in music television. Direct Tv and Verizon Fios have music channels that cater to different genres and generations of music. You see more and more households and business this use these stations for events because it is music 24/7. Music television evolved and has and changed many times since the beginning in the early 80s

36 Responses to “Music Television”

1. karina Says:

Lovely read. Isn’t it interesting how entrepreneurs find a business in almost anything? Goodman explains that pop was a visual performance. This indeed helped in promoting the artist’s persona in contrast to earlier era’s that relied on live performances to frame them.

I remember when I was 12 or so, being a huge fan of TRL, and 106 & Park. However I no longer dedicate the time to watching the visual narrative of songs. TV music videos may still be used for promoting the artist, but how effective do you think this is (in terms of 106 & Park)?

I guess when one considers the popularity of sites like YouTube, and the multimedia sharing involved in social network sites like Facebook, the onus is placed on visual performance/creativity for success. In these cases, music videos are effective, but I think shows dedicated to music videos are dead.

You mentioned reality TV music videos- I’ve never heard of this. The concept sounds great, since its all about reality on TV. Tell me more!

Great Post! =)

2. filmhistory10 Says:

I enjoyed reading this blog. I however did not watch TRL,never cared for it since all they did was air the same videos repetitively. I grew up watching Mtv,VH1, and Headbangers ball which was a seperate music video program that aired on Mtv Saturday nights in the early to mid 90’s. It’s really all about marketing to a different range of audiences. In this case, t.v. people who didn’t go to record stores to check out new material on a regular basis. This target audience relied on music videos to come on to inform them that a new track or album is hitting stores. Nowadays I really see no need for Mtv anymore, since it is flooded with reality shows. Although I love youtube, and other sites where I can find music videos, its a real shame that Mtv has degraded itself to something truly unwatchable. This used to be a channel I couldn’t wait to zone into.

3. plcest89 Says:

I honestly don’t blame MTV for switching to reality television. In my history of broadcasting class this semester, I learned that MTV used to get videos for free from record companies and they played them by being advertiser supported. They would have music videos being played all day long counting down to the most popular videos. Once YouTube and other music channels emerged, MTV lost their audience. If I am in the mood of hearing a Linkin Park song, why would I watch MTV all day to hopefully see if its on? Why wouldnt I just type in Linkin Park into YouTube or any other music site? Once the audience was gone, MTV needed to move towards reality shows which are the cheapest shows to make. Not that I am a fan of reality tv, but I completely understand the need for MTV to turn towards reality tv in order to stay afloat.

4. theblog Says:

I’m honestly kind of disappointed in MTV i grew up watching MTV and music videos and now all of a sudden its all reality shows. I mean dont get me wrong the reality shows are entertaining and all but where is the MUSIC part of Music Television. They need to get back to how they started.

5. williamdabney Says:

MTV is the epic music channel. Its kind of funny that people don’t think that MTV doesn’t show music videos but they do its during the day early in the morning around 6am. With reality tv shows I think it was a great idea to do it because their ratings sky rocket because they stay with a new hot show.

6. site Says:

General public preferences nowadays manipulate the entertainment marketin a way which had beenvery unlikely prior tothe web and the virus-like delivery of media in addition tofull entertainment content. Whenever you additionally distribution on the web press internet pages, from gossip to entire videos. It’s a totally new society. A lot of it very good, some not.

7. Streaming Video Says:

Watch a huge selection of Streaming Video movies and Tv shows on-line. Eugot delivers all of your favored genres uncut, unedited, and unbelievably free of charge — Just press play!”

8. marketing media social mobile content campaign Says:

Heya we’re the first time right here. I discovered this board i still find it seriously handy & it helped me to away a good deal. I’m hoping to offer a little something just as before and also assist other people as you helped myself.

9. Streaming for all Says:

Good submit. I simply stumbled upon your blog post and needed to mention that We’ve truly cherished surfing around your web site discussions. Of course I’m going to be opting-in in your rss feed exactly what intending you are submitting just as before before long!

10. youtube Says:

I used to be proposed this site via this nephew. I will be no longer good when it create will be authored by methods of him seeing that nobody realize this kind of unique close to my problems. You happen to be amazing! Many thanks!

11. legit steroid websites Says:

Sink centers, tap handles, finishes, special orders. [Photo: Does “Jersey Shore” Ronnie Ortiz-Margo use steroids. It is critical, therefore, to learn about the subtleties involved with article marketing so that you will be able to optimize your usage of this technique.

my web blog: legit steroid websites

12. pligg.com Says:

HollywoodTable

In a nutshell, it is imperative that you follow the aforementioned tips to ensure the fact that all your exercising results in an increase in bone density. For me, I feel as if the big-business-food-industries and our governments have let us down.

13. steroid recipes for beef tips and noodles Says:

I told him how I was ready to get back into training and I
    needed some “juice” to get me a kick start. Epidural Steroid
    Injections have been performed for a long time and it has a track record of being rather
    safe and successful. These have been banned in several athletic
    agencies such as the NBA, NHL, WTA, FIFA and UEFA.

14. Arturo Says:

Do you have a spam problem on this website; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation;
    many of us have developed some nice procedures and we are looking to swap strategies with others, be sure to shoot
    me an email if interested.

15. oregoncranberry.net Says:

by natural means appreciate your web-site however you should check the particular transliteration on a few of you. A variety of them will be filled by using spelling complications i in discovering it really irritating to share with the truth however I will definitely revisit yet again.

16. best steroids Says:

I think that what you said made a ton of sense.
    However, what about this? what if you typed a catchier post
    title? I am not suggesting your information is not good, however what if you added a
    post title that grabbed a person’s attention? I mean HollywoodTable

17. Isabel Says:

Hi people if you can’t earn any money online try –
    bluehand roulette system – it earns me decent money everyday,
    just google it

18. Anderson Says:

I don’t know if it’s just me or if everybody else experiencing issues with your blog.

It seems like some of the text in your posts are running off the screen. Can somebody else
    please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them
    as well? This might be a issue with my internet browser
    because I’ve had this happen before. Cheers

Feel free to visit my website: webpage; Anderson,

19. dui checkpoints Says:

Hello are using WordPress for your blog platform?
    I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to
    get started and create my own. Do you require any coding expertise to make your
    own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My site dui checkpoints

20. Fredric Says:

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a
    lot of time writing, i know how to save you a
    lot of time, there is an online tool that
    creates readable, SEO friendly posts in minutes, just type in google – laranitas free
    content source

21. www.youtube.com Says:

A VPN is a virtual private network, which generally is employed to give a secure tunnel across an insecure public network. The largest of these is of course the internet, and a VPN is the main method of ensuring privacy and some security when using this vast, world-wide shared network.

22. mp3oceans|mp3oceans.com|hindi mp3 download|hindi music download|songspk alternate|mp3 music search engine|free mp3 download music|tamil free mp3 download|hindi free mp3 download|free songs download|free mp3 download album|free mp3 download sites|software Says:

mp3oceans|mp3oceans.com|hindi mp3 download|hindi music download|songspk alternate|mp3 music search engine|free mp3 download music|tamil free mp3 download|hindi free mp3 download|free songs download|free mp3 download album|free mp3 download sites|soft…

[…]HollywoodTable » Blog Archive » Music Television[…]

23. 3d printer education Says:

3d printer education

24. emergency on call service Says:

emergency on call service

25. adam regiaba yola site Says:

adam regiaba yola site

26. the shemitah Says:

the shemitah

27. Lead Shocker bonuses Says:

Lead Shocker bonuses

HollywoodTable » Blog Archive » Music Television

28. pdf Says:

pdf

29. rar Says:

rar

30. winrar password remover download Says:

winrar password remover download

31. Tap titans hack apk Says:

Tap titans hack apk

32. solar panels for your home Says:

solar panels for your home

33. Vegas shows February 2016 Says:

Vegas shows February 2016

34. safeco insurance of indiana Says:

safeco insurance of indiana

35. Maha Mrityunjaya Jaap Says:

Maha Mrityunjaya Jaap

36. luxury game lodges in Botswana Says:

luxury game lodges in Botswana